Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Office, episode 1

Today is my first day at my new job. I'm working 16 hours a week as the receptionist/personal assistant at a music studio. I'm also going to be working with the newly-born theatre department. I'm sitting here on my first day, not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be doing because no one has a clear job, staring at the instruments and pondering the cleanliness of the counter I'm at. The day-time version of me explained a lot of basics, but mainly it consisted of showing me the various music rooms and telling me that Bill (long-haired drum teacher) does a lot with administrative stuff. Then she left me. I figure, what the hell, I can wing it--it's just a music studio. Then 4:30 hit and classes ended/began and all of the teachers, including Dave (the owner), Bill, Karen (the girl who "teaches everything"...except guitar...and drums...and voice) (so that's not really everything, is it Karen?), and Leah (who is as loud as me and yelled at me before she knew my name, so I instantly like her). Then trouble erupted. Apparently, a new piano book came in. Bill would like Dave to log this piano book in quickbook--using the system that Bill created. Dave would like to continue sitting there and not deal with the new piano book.
Bill: Dave, just tell me where the paperwork is and I can put it in the system.
Dave: I don't know where Krissy put it. (Krissy is my day-time version)
Bill: It's gotta be around here. Let's find it.
Dave: I'll deal with it later. Ask me tomorrow.
Bill: It'll be the same question tomorrow, so let's just do it now.
Dave: Leave it alone, Bill.
Bill: [huff] I'll just go find the paperwork myself!
me: [standing there, feeling supremely awkward, but also wanting to laugh at the ridiculousness of this scenario.]
Dave: I don't know where it is. Just leave it alone, Bill!
Bill grumbles his way to a backroom, searching for the all-important piano book. Dave rolls his eyes. Bill re-emerges with an old, water-stained book. There's no way this is a book that was ordered from a music company.
Bill: Is this is it, Dave?
Dave: I don't know! Just leave it alone!
This goes on for another 5 minutes. Bill ends up inputting the numbers of the severly-used piano book. I can't help but laugh because it is so obviously not the book that should be entered into the system.

Apparently, Bill is Dwight. I bet he calls himself the Assistant Director of the studio. And I bet Dave would correct him and say "Assistant to the Director."

No comments: